Tuesday, February 21, 2006

i haev comuminaciton pormble

I have communication problems. Or hearing problems. Maybe both.

My boss tried to speak English in front of a guailo/angmo customer today.

Boss : Get me the 'tae'.
Me : ???

Sometimes when I hear things, the consonants are either involuntarily ignored or simply can't be heard. There's also the problem of people prefering not to stress on the consonants(maybe they can't). And some believe that speaking decent, perfect-sounding English are reserved for a different class of people which they aren't. In Singapore, they are branded as 'angmoh-pai' which means the 'foreigner gang'.

People make mistakes of all sorts in the English language easily because they apply rules of the Chinese language in them; improper/random/no usage of past/present/future tenses, incorrect pronunciation... blah blah blah. It just drives me mad... argh. I try to tell myself that its not my fault that I am unable to understand poorly pronounced words, but its not helping since everyone around is just like that. Nobody speaks perfect English and its stupid anyone to do that. But I just simply can't hear anything that is 'wrong'. 'Wrong' words are just automatically ignored and I feel stupid!!! ARGH!!!

Another example.

Some Foreign Maid: Hello I wan 1 pack saa-iron deyet for my dog.
Me : 'wtf?'

She actually meant to say 'Hello I want a pack of the Science Diet for my Dog'. She repeated 3 times. In the end, my colleague got the call instead and handed the dog food to her. I was reprimanded for being obstinate in insisting on hearing perfect English words.

Conversing in cantonese is tough for me just like the people around me(literally / practically / whatever-ly) trying to speak English to me. Limited vocabulary / choice of usable words... impossiblity to write out the Chinese Characters...blahblahblah.

Its just all fucked up. Time to pack my bag and go to somewhere else whereby I can hear decent Elgnsih.

9 comments:

KeNSuKe said...

Pls change the URL liao ... http://www.remorse-melon.blogspot.com

Lawrence said...

dbted~~~~~~~~~

Fai said...

kensuke : lol... why always must have melon in ur blog names?

pb: no... its just me i guess... >_<;

law: yeah... dbted... -_-;

Anonymous said...

i tried to make "saa-iron deyet" sound like "science diet" for 5 minutes. No avail. So it's not just you... just not used to the local pronounciations. You're doomed to feeling like a foreigner wherever you go for the rest of your life!!! =p

Vacation in Canada. Your Aunt lives there doesn't she?

-bm

mister said...

hahahahahahhaha

doomed to be a foreigner?

jia lat...

Aaron said...

wei.. come back to SG ba... we miss you over here~

Fai said...

foreign to wherever i go huh...? lol~

I wanna go cananda~!

Anonymous said...

Goo Canada better actually. Better than Singapore

Anonymous said...

mentioned the majority pay off your financial products promptly not to mention without problems
A number one consumer debt charitable trust should expect may be folks making use of these folks designed for aid throughout fast cash advance bad debts that will double this specific. credit card debt aid organization reveals about have used the actual temporary, excessive attraction lending products in 2010. Any charitable organisation affirms a couple of years past the numerous prospects with them had been insignificant.
szybkie kredyty przez internet
pożyczka chwilówka na dowód
pożyczka szybka
kredyt gotówkowy na dowód eurobank
pozyczkanadowod24.org.pl

http://szybkapozyczkabezbik.org.pl
http://kredytybezbik24.net.pl
http://szybkapozyczka24.info.pl